Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Flag and the Bible

*This is a post that I made on MySpace in October of 2007. I hope you enjoy it.*

I used to get a daily Bible study on my e-mail called "Two Minutes with the Bible" by the Berean Bible Society. Sometimes they have some things that make me scratch my head in confusion, but sometimes they have things that hit me like a ton of bricks and make me shout "WOW!!!" Tonight as I was reading this one it really struck a chord in me. I posted it on here for you to read, and then I will add some things at the end. Enjoy and I will talk to you in a second or should I say 'Two Minutes'....get it it's called 'Two minutes with the Bible' never mind...Read on:
THE BIBLE ON THE FLOOR
by Cornelius R. Stam

"...Thou hast magnified Thy Word above all Thy name" (Psa. 138:2).
As I passed by my study the other night, I noticed that I had left a Bible lying on the floor next to a chair. In studying I had put it down momentarily to consult a reference book and had neglected to pick it up again.
Now, as I caught a fleeting glimpse of that blessed Book lying there, it bothered me; in fact it bothered me enough to make me go back and pick it up and put it where it belonged.
Then I began wondering why so trivial a matter had troubled me. Was it because I remembered how dad would never allow anything to lie on top of the Bible? Had mere sentiment confused my thinking?
Surely the Word of God is forever settled in heaven and that book lying on the floor was only paper, ink and a leather cover. Or was it? Was it not also the Word of God as given to us? And as such, was it not representative of God Himself? If our country's flag must be treated with honor and respect; if it is sacrilege to treat it as mere cloth, how much more is this so where the Holy Bible is concerned!
No, it was not merely dad's example that came to mind as I saw the Bible lying there: certainly it was not only that. Rather it was a Scripture passage of which he often reminded us; the inspired words of David quoted above:
"Thou hast magnified Thy Word above all Thy name."
To be sure God would have us use His Word as a textbook from which to learn His will. It is no sign of reverence for this great Book to leave it lying untouched on the shelf. He would have us use it and study it, perhaps underlining important passages and marking significant connections. But with all this we must never forget to treat it with the reverence and honor due the written Word of God.
Welcome back. See I have had some issue with the way that some people seem to worship the American flag. Now don't get me wrong, I do think that the flag is something to be respected; more what it stands for. It represents the men and women out there who have so bravely put their lives on the line for our freedom. The freedom to wear what we want in public, to write or talk about things we are passionate about, and to worship which ever god we want.
That definitely needs to be respected. But, think about what the Bible represents. Everyone knows what it says: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16. Yes, those men and women gave their lives so we could live because it was their call of duty. God left the comforts of heaven to come to earth as a man. He walked, sweat, bled, and died for us. Not because it was His call of duty, or He had nothing better to do. He did it because He loves us; because He could not stand the gap that sin had put between us and Him. So He came and died so that we could get back to Him. That is a MUCH better story.
Now don't take this as anti-American or that I am trying to take away from our military. Because I am not!!! Continue to respect the flag and what it is a symbol of. But think about what is between the covers of that Bible, thank God for His word. I hope that you got as much out of this as I did. If you didn't I apologize. If you did then thank God. Again if any of you have questions, concerns, or complaints let me know. If you have any kind of prayer requests or praise reports, PLEASE let me know. Have a great day, and I hope to write again soon. Until then....
Jason

No comments: